Melanie here are the results from my little trial with locks. I have worked as a scientist for most of my life and even in retirement that never has gone away! I say "Teeswater" they are not in the British sense- but 85% Teeswater and 15% Cotswold.
For all 3 treatments:
- I teased apart 1/2 lb raw fleece- from Teeswater 18 month old Bowes.
- I used 125 F water throughout.
- I used about 12 gallons of water for each wash and rinse.
- Each wash was 20 minutes and the rinse about the same or a little more.
- Added 1/2 oz of Beyond Clean to 125 F water- about 12 gallons
- Submerge locks and let soak for 20 mins.
- Drain water and remove locks from sink.
- Refill sink with 125 F water to 12 gallons.
- Add locks back and re-submerge and soak.
- The water was still very dirty.
- Repeat step 1.
- Repeat step 2, but leave soak a little longer than 20 mins check to make sure the soap is removed.
The wash was performed as for Beyond Clean replacing Beyond Clean with the non concentrated Dawn liquid. They will need to be rewashed- they still look grey.
- I used 3 washes with Dawn.
- used 1/2 oz, rinsed
- used 1oz, rinsed
- used 2 oz, rinsed
- After the final wash the locks looked reasonably good- and the water was clear. The locks felt a bit sticky but when they were dry they were ok and I can use them. BUT look at all the water and time this took!
I will place my order shortly. Thanks Helen
"Picked up my first fleece at Maryland Sheep and Wool. I've washed other wool previously using Dawn; however, with Power Scour my fiber feels better, fluffier, and smells wonderful. The dirt just dissolves leaving the fiber looking and feeling great. I would never hesitate to recommend this product!!!" - Judy
"I tried Power Scour, blue Dawn, and Kookaburra on two Romney cross fleeces I purchased at the 2014 Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival. Of the three, Power Scour had the best combination of cleaning power and gentleness (not drying out the fleece locks). A plus is the lovely, delicate scent." - Anonymous
"Cleans as promised at low temperatures the most dirtiest fleeces I have!!! LOVE IT, no more Dawn for me!!!" - Anonymous
"This product is fantastic. I bought Power Scour in desperation after washing a fleece FOUR TIMES with dish soap, shampoo, and other detergents with little impact on the greasiness. Finally I gave up and spun it in the grease thinking I'd wash the yarn and it would go much better. Big surprise, the yarn was no easier to clean. Two tablespoons of Power Scour in my top-loading washer was enough to clean a sweater's worth of greasy yarn into something lovely, soft, and ready to knit. The fiber isn't dried out or brittle and it smells wonderful. Power Scour wasn't harsh on my hands at all. You've earned yourself a convert for life! The samples of fibre wash and fibre rinse were fantastic too." - Diane
"I've used every product on the market, from blue and yellow Dawn (not a fan) to other fleece scours and wool rinses and washes. For prepping a raw fleece for processing and spinning/dyeing, NOTHING beats Power Scour. You use a small fraction of the product compared to others so it is a real value, but most of all Power Scour doesn't strip the wool of its softness. Never harsh, the results are a clean-smelling and easy-to-handle, clean fibers which don't need any extra "spinning oil", conditioners or other lubricants to soften the fibers or make them workable. Well done!" - Kelley
"Better Than Dawn. I bought a lot of raw mohair and raw alpaca hair to use for my dolls. I had a lot of felting happen when I used dawn. This caused no matting or felting. I fill the sink with hot water, add the unicorn power scour when filled, lightly stir the water and unicorn power scour with a large paint brush (make sure no bubbles happen), then add the mesh filled bags full of hair...I love this stuff a little go along way, smells good, works great!" - Amanda