CLEAN RAW MOHAIR
HOW TO WASH RAW MOHAIR IN A SINK
Since Mohair can have a waxy, greasy "yolk" on the fiber, you can soak it overnight in cool water to open the fiber and prepare it for washing. But if your mohair isn't matted with grease - an overnight soak isn't needed.
- 1 Pound of Mohair
- 2 TBSP (1 oz) of Power Scour or Beyond Clean
- Hot water 140+ F / 60+ C (about 2 Gallons)
- Mix Soap into water.
- Submerge mohair and make sure it is completely saturated under the water and loosely floating within the water.
- Soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain water.
- Refill bowl of mohair with hot water.
- If the water is clear, you do not need another rinse.
- Wait 10 minutes, Drain the water, and lay wool out to dry.
- If the wool is milky, there is more grease in your fiber.
- Add 1 TSP of Soap and sit 10 more minutes.
- Drain Water. Refill Bowl with Hot Water.
- Repeat until the water is clear.
HOW TO WASH RAW MOHAIR IN A TOP LOADING WASHING MACHINE
5 Pounds of mohair
7 Tablespoons (3-4 oz) of Power Scour (depending on how greasy the mohair is) or Beyond Clean
Top Loading Washing Machine
Set Water Temp to Hot (turn up hot water heater thermostat if necessary)
Set Wash Load Size to Large
Fill the Drum with hot water.
Mix Soap in.
Distribute the mohair evenly into the tub and submerge
Pull Knob on Machine to "Stop" the Wash Cycle and continue Soaking the Fiber.
Close Top Loading Washer Lid (if your machine activates upon the closing of the lid, keep the lid open for the entire soak)
Let soak for 15-20 minutes.
Rinse 1 or 2 times and spin.
Repeat if a second soak is needed.