How to Wash Raw Alpaca Fleece
CLEAN RAW ALPACA
Alpaca don't have any grease in their fiber - but they do love to roll around in dirt. This means your wash water will likely be dark brown, but not milky. UNICORN Fibre Wash or Beyond Wash is the perfect soap for Alpaca or other camelid (Llama, Camel, Vicuna, Guananco) fibers. You can also wash Alpaca in cooler water since you don't need heat to help remove grease from the fiber.
Note: If your Alpaca is especially dirty, caked with clay, unbelievably filthy - substitute Power Scour instead of Fibre Wash for a thorough deep clean. But most of the time, if your Alpaca is merely dusty-dirty, Fibre Wash or Beyond Wash is sufficient.
HOW TO WASH RAW ALPACA IN A SINK
- 1 Pound of Alpaca
- 1 TBSP (1/2 oz) of Fibre Wash (scented) or Beyond Fibre Wash (unscented)
- Warm/Hot Water (about 2 Gallons)
- Mix Fibre Wash into water.
- Submerge alpaca and make sure it is completely saturated under the water and loosely floating within the water.
- Soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain water.
- Refill bowl of wool with hot water.
- If the water is clear, you do not need another rinse.
- Wait 10 minutes, Drain the water, and lay wool out to dry.
- If the water is dark brown and you cannot see thru it, there is more dirt to be removed from your fiber.
- Add 1 TSP of Fibre Wash and sit 10 more minutes.
- Drain Water. Refill Bowl with Warm Water.
- Repeat until the water is clear or tea-colored.
HOW TO WASH RAW ALPACA IN A TOP LOADING WASHING MACHINE
5 Pounds of Alpaca
5 Tablespoons (2½ oz) of Fibre Wash (scented) or Beyond Fibre Wash (unscented)
Top Loading Washing Machine
Set Water Temp to Warm/Warm
Set Wash Load Size to Large
Fill the Drum with warm water.
Mix Fibre Wash into the water.
Distribute the Alpaca evenly into the tub and submerge
Pull Knob on Machine to "Stop" the Wash Cycle and continue Soaking the Fiber.
Close Top Loading Washer Lid (if your machine activates upon the closing of the lid, keep the lid open for the entire soak)
Let soak for 15-20 minutes.
Rinse 1 or 2 times and spin.
Repeat if a second soak if needed.